This non-accredited course applies to individuals working in the health and community services such as Aged Care Workers, Community Care Workers, Disability Support Workers, Personal Care Workers and Respite Care Workers who wish to develop the knowledge and skills in supporting people to self-administer medication and complete medication documentation, according to the relevant Federal and state/territory legislation, regulations, codes or practice and workplace policies and procedures. The course content has been guided by the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and the WA HACC Program’s Medication Policy Framework and Guidelines
Students will also develop an understanding of the various forms of medication, the different modes medication can be administered as well as the characteristics of several commonly used medications, including both prescribed and over the counter medication. In addition, students will assist with providing medication using at least two (2) different types of medications and at least two (2) different modes of administration as well as complete associated medication documentation.
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) recommends Medication Management training is refreshed annually to stay current with policies, procedures and techniques.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd should consider the following to successfully participate in the course:
- Physical capability to be able to meet the demands of the practical demonstration skills
- Numeracy skills to calculate and check correct dosage of medication, expiry dates and client information including basic calculations of ratios and volume
- Reading skills to correctly check and interpret client information and dosage instructions
- Language skills to appropriately greet and converse with clients to explain medication requirements and obtain client consent
Online study options: students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic devices with access to the internet to complete the online studies.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
This certificate does not require renewal
Practical scenarios :
- Scenario 1 – Provide assistance with medication – Eye Drops
- Scenario 2 – Provide assistance with medication – Tablets
- Incident Report Forms
- Medication Administration Forms
Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of short-answer and multiple-choice questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.